I saw this image from Better Homes and Gardens, and it’s been on my mind ever since.
|image courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens|
The reason I’d been mulling it over and over was because I knew I had a large scrap piece of 4×4 in the garage.
There was this giant piece left over after we made the hose post for the back yard.
I measured out 8″ (20.3cm) increments and cut it down.
Now in hindsight (and to save you wasting wood) you don’t really need 8″ pieces – you could easily get away with 4″ or 6″ – but since this was a test project I thought it better to have extra wood and then cut it down.
I gave them a sanding to get rid of any little burs and to make the top smooth.
Then it was time to drill the pencil holes.
I chose a drill bit that was just larger than a sharpie marker, because the pens in this house are usually bulky advertising pens that won’t fit in a pencil-sized hole.
Then the spacing….
Let me tell you, it was good that I had 5 to test this out on – because I didn’t get it right until attempt #4.
I put measurement marks on the wood and drew a grid.
Turns out that wood isn’t perfectly square – so gridding it up won’t necessarily give you perfect alignment.
(Plus, and to be honest, the drill skipped a bit and moved one or two holes for me).
That’s two pieces down.
I tried freehand thinking “it’s only 3.5″ square – I can eyeball it”.
Another piece down.
I then tried finding dead-centre by marking an “X” from corner to corner.
Once I had the centre circle drilled out – I found the centre of that hole and drew lines across it and up and down it.
This was what worked best for me.
I had Hubby use his table saw to cut an angle on the bottom of the block. I’m going to guesstimate and say it’s about 15 degrees.
I had him start at the corner and saw it that way so that it looked like the block in the BHG photo. You could do this cut along a flat side and I’m sure it would look just as nice.
I painted up the top and then started mod-podging the fabric around the sides.
The tutorial from BHG used wrapping paper to wrap the block, but I wanted to see how it would look with this fabric.
I just folded a small hem and glued it down.
Not bad – not quite as good as I’d hoped though.
The photo above got me to thinking… “the blue faded out looks kind of neat…” so I decided to try my hand at ombre.
UPDATE: August 28th, 2014
My friend Amazing Amy pointed out that scrapbook paper would probably work better (and was in fact suggested by BHG).
And they were both right.
|Between Naps on the Porch|