I wrote a similar article to this back in 2014 but it didn’t get any traction? Could be because I dyed my super-gooey rice krispie treats green in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day – which I still think was a cute tribute – but perhaps wasn’t a very appetizing image. (What!? You guys don’t pin green rice krispie treats?!)
Fair enough, I wouldn’t either.
But this recipe is tried and tested and if you read that article, you’d know that I tried LOTS of recipes – lots and LOTS of recipes – to get just the right balance and gooey-ness, so I’m going to share it again today…
with more pinnable images.
Gooey Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 50 marshmallows (not miniature)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies (Rice Krispies cereal tastes the best, I did try the no name brand and they had a sort of stale flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- Butter a 9″ x 9″ glass baking dish.
- Over medium heat, melt butter and add in 50 marshmallows (to be honest, I add 52, but if I wrote 52, then you’d be tempted to put in 54 and it could go on forever) in a large saucepan. Make sure you are doing the melting at medium/low heat. You do not want the butter to brown at all.
- Once completely melted and smooth, turn stove off and add in your vanilla and milk.
- Stir in your Rice Krispies a couple of cups at a time until they are thoroughly coated.
- Using a buttered spatula, gently press the rice krispie mixture into the buttered pan. You don’t need to really pack it down, just gentle pressure.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and devour!